BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Easy Weeknight Meal for a Chilly Evening

I came across this recipe and LOVED that I already had all of the INGREDIENTS, it only takes 20 MINUTES to prepare, and it's HEALTHY, low calorie and packed with nearly 30 grams of PROTEIN.



White Bean and Sausage Ragout with Tomatoes, Kale, and Zucchini
(Thank you Cooking Light's The Essential Dinner Tonight)

Ingredients:
1 Tbl olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 links chicken sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices (I recommend AmyLu Chicken Sausage in your favorite flavor)
1 zucchini quartered and cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 garlic cloves (I just used garlic powder)
6 cups chopped trimmed kale (I went with Baby Spinach instead- delicious)
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cans cannellini beans or other white beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (opt for organic- I had a can that was seasoned with garlic and onion)
1 pkg sliced mushrooms (not on the original recipe but adds a nice variety)
*I added red pepper flakes too for a little kick
Directions:
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
  • Add onion and sausage, saute 4 minutes (if you are using AmyLu chicken sausage it comes pre-cooked so you don't have to add it yet- wait until the end to add)
  • Add zucchini and garlic, cook 2 minutes
  • Add kale and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil
  • Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes
  • ENJOY!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Kel-I tried it today and it's GREAT! I love it! I added mushrooms and used baby spinch ilke you suggested. Delish!